5 Health Benefits of Eating Garlic:
Garlic is a healthy member of the onion family. Sometimes called the ‘Stinking Rose’, this potent and flavorful seasoning can be added to several different meals like an omelet, pasta, topped on pizza or even tossed onto a salad. Getting used to the strong taste of garlic is hard for some, while other people love the crunchy, tangy taste of raw garlic.
Other than being a great way to spice up a dish, garlic has some very important health benefits too!
Eating Raw Garlic is much better for your body than cooking it into food. If Garlic is heated up too much it loses it nutritional value. The best way to serve your family garlic is to chop up a few cloves and let them set out for about 10-15 minutes while you cook up the rest of the meal. This gives alliinase enzymes a chance to get working and bring out the goodness! Each person can eat up to 3 cloves a day to get the most out of eating raw garlic, so about one clove per meal is best to spread it out.
Some picky food eaters complain that garlic is too strong and gives you bad breath… usually washing your hands after chopping up garlic is helpful and simply chewing on some mint or fresh parsley works for having fresh breath post-garlic consumption.
Here are 5 very important facts to know about Garlic and your health:
1) “Research shows that garlic is responsible for lipid-lowering, anti-blood coagulation, anti-hypertension, anti-cancer, antioxidant and anti-microbial effects.”
-Peter McClusky, founder of the Toronto Garlic Festival
2) Garlic actually repels Mosquitoes better than chemical sprays and lotions! You can either apply the garlic directly to your skin, or just keep some nearby to try to keep the bugs out of your general vicinity.
3) Both eating fresh Garlic and topically apply it to acne can dramatically help clears skin up! Pimples and blemishes be gone! Try this at home beauty tip and save money by using garlic, which is only about $1 per two heads. That is much cheaper than buyer several acne creams and medicine that do not work.
4) Garlic also prevents and treats colds! This is the most important health benefit of eating raw garlic, it is especially helpful to eat this food during the winter cold and flu season! So remember to add a clove to each meal if you feel a cold coming on! Or try eating Garlic consistently so that you can boost your immune system with it’s powerful antioxidants!
5) Garlic also fights against yeast infections! For sugar lovers, this is great news! Everyone knows that hormones, taking antibiotics, eating a high sugar/carb diet, and drinking alcohol can cause women, and some men, to develop a candida overgrowth. Candida is of course the fancy way of saying yeast. Any female who has suffered through a yeast infection, will be very happy to know that Garlic is the Cure for yeast! Eating 2-3 cloves of this odoriferous bulb a day will clear up any yeast problems. Instead of using over the counter treatments which temporarily solve yeast infections symptoms, try simple eating garlic for a few days! Fresh garlic is significantly more potent against Candida albicans than any other form, including tablets, oils and pills. Adding fresh garlic to food (raw and crushed), or crushing and swallowing raw clove is a cheap and powerful anti-fungal treatment. Some online blogs say that you can insert garlic vaginally, this is not necessary. Simply mince up some garlic and incorporate it into your diet to stay healthy can candida free!
So enjoy eating raw garlic for it’s awesome flavor and amazing health benefits! One warning about garlic is that since its a bulb, much like onions and shallots, be very careful to keep it away from pets. Garlic and onions are poisonous to cats and dogs, so after you chop it up, keep an eye on household animals and always wash your hands after chopping up garlic to be safe!
Happy Cooking! Follow Tasty Food Snacks on Tumblr for more Foodie Chat!