Originating from Mexico, the Burrito is a delicious and healthy dish that contains flour tortilla, rice, various meats, and vegetables. The name burrito in Spanish means little donkey. In fact, this dish is comparable to a little donkey because it is able to carry a lot. It consists of a variety of ingredients, making it a complete meal on its own. It is also packed with protein and fiber that are essential to help jump-start your day.
This recipe for a 7 Layer Breakfast Burrito is quick and easy to make. It includes different ingredients that are very healthy like garlic, beans, avocado, and eggs. Both avocado and eggs are good sources of protein which is said to be beneficial for skin and hair. The recipe also uses coconut oil that is healthier compared to regular oil, butter, or cooking spray. You may read here to know more about the health benefits of cooking using coconut oil and some of its uses for beauty.
Two other healthy components of this recipe are garlic and onion. Onion is healthy whether it is raw or cooked. It has fiber, folic acid, and as well as B vitamin that can help the body make healthy new cells. Garlic on the other hand, has been used since ancient times both as a food seasoning and as a traditional medicine. This is also commonly being used as a natural supplement to fight off colds. You may read more about all the amazing nutritional benefits of eating garlic here.
The best thing about this Breakfast Burrito Recipe is that it is very versatile. You can make it as mild as it is for the kids to enjoy, or make it extra spicy for the adults. The measurements for the recipe is flexible as well. This recipe can be made for 1 person or for a dozen people. Just adjust the measurements and vary the ingredients according to the number of people that will be served. burrito, breakfast burrito, 7 layer breakfast burrito
To make this healthy 7-layer breakfast burrito, you will need these ingredients:
- Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Free Range, Organic Eggs
- Peperjack Habanero Cheese
- Low Sodium Black Beans
- Sweet Yellow Onions (Diced)
- Hass Avocados (Diced)
- Verde Salsa (Spicy or Mild)
- Freshly Chopped Garlic (optional)
Procedure to Get Started:
1. Start by preparing the ingredients so that you will be ready to just easily add them when needed. Slice and dice the Garlic (if you prefer to add garlic), Onions and Avocados.
2. Next, arrange a plate with a tortilla and cheese which will be the first layer. You can heat this tortilla and cheese combo on a separate burner using a separate pan if you would like to melt the cheese into the tortilla.
3. After that, add black beans to the tortilla. You have the option to use low sodium canned beans but remember to warm them up beforehand.
4. On a non-stick frying pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (Cold-Pressed, Organic). Then add in the chopped onion and sauté on low heat for about 2 minutes. Cook the onions until translucent.
5. Add Eggs depending on the number of people you are serving this recipe for. Make scrambled eggs with onions and season it with freshly ground black pepper.
6. Arrange the eggs on top of the prepared tortilla while separating the mixture giving each plate an equal amount.
7. The last step in assembling this 7 Layer Breakfast Burrito is topping it with avocado, garlic, and salsa. Each person has their own preference with regards to how much avocado, garlic, and salsa they want in their burrito. That is why for this step, it is better to do the assembling at the table. Letting everyone customize their own Breakfast Burrito individually.
Breakfast is known for being the most important meal of the day because the body is breaking the ‘fast’ of sleeping. That is why it is vital to get protein in the morning. This 7-layer breakfast burrito has eggs and avocados inside which are both rich in protein, and it is also packed with other healthy vegetables. This is also handy and can be eaten when you are on the go or in a hurry. All in all, this is the perfect breakfast that is complete with all the healthy goodness needed to start your day.