Cheesecake is a sweet dessert that is baked before serving. It is commonly made from cream cheese, eggs, as well as egg yolks that add richness and smooth consistency to it. However, the New York–style cheesecake relies on heavy cream or sour cream. A typical New York cheesecake is rich and has a thick, smooth, and creamy consistency. Read through and learn how you can make a delicious and festive NYC Cheesecake using Jamie Oliver’s cheesecake recipe.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to get started:
For the Crust:
- 350 grams of digestive biscuits
- 70 grams of good quality dark chocolate
- 120 grams of melted unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 900 grams of light or low-fat softened cream cheese
- 150 grams of caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, preferably free-range or organic
- Juice of 6 limes, approximately 125ml
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out (Substitute: 1 tablespoon good-quality vanilla extract)
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
For the Meringue Topping:
- 3 large egg whites, preferably free-range or organic (Do not throw the yolks because they can be used for making scrambled eggs)
- 110 grams of caster sugar
- 40 grams of desiccated coconut (Coconut goes well with lime juice)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/310°F/gas 2½ and grease a 24cm loose-bottomed cake tin with the melted butter or oil.
- Put your digestive biscuits as well as the dark chocolate into a food processor and whiz them until crumbs become really fine. Then, add in your melted butter to the biscuits and mix them well. Alternatively, if you do not have a food processor, just wrap your biscuits in a tea towel and crush them up with a rolling pin until they become fine crumbs.
- Spread the biscuit and butter mixture around the base of the greased tin pressing it with your hands to pack it down. Be sure to put the biscuit mixture around the cake tin completely right to the edges. Place the tin on a baking sheet and put it into the fridge while making the filling.
- For the filling, whip the cream cheese in a food processor until smooth while gradually adding the sugar. Then, add the eggs one at a time while mixing well after adding each one. Pour in the lime juice as well as the vanilla seeds or extract and mix thoroughly until everything is combined. If you don’t have a food processor, you can do this by hand. Do not worry if the mixture looks too thin because it is supposed to be like that.
- Add the cream cheese mixture over the chilled biscuit base, spreading it out evenly, and baking in the oven for around 45 to 55 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Turn the oven up to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- For the meringue topping, separate the egg whites into a clean bowl and beat until they form soft peaks. You can use an electric whisk or whisk it by hand while gradually adding in the caster sugar. Continue beating the eggs until thick and glossy. Next, fold in the coconut. Spoon some meringue mixture into the center of the cooled cheesecake and spread it out to the edges using the back of a spoon. The meringue mixture should be about 2cm thick. You can make a few ripples and peaks in the top using a piping bag to decorate. Then put it in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, just until the meringue is starting to turn golden in color and is crisp to touch. Take it out and let it cool down. Then place it in the fridge for a few hours to chill before serving (this is important).
- Carefully remove the cheesecake from the tin and transfer to a nice platter. You can sprinkle over some lime zest or serve with mango, strawberries, and raspberries when they’re in season.
This scrumptious, classic NYC cheesecake recipe from Jamie Oliver serves 10-14 people. It can be made in one hour and thirty minutes plus cooling time. You can make one and serve it at summer parties or any other celebrations.
To see the complete nutritional value of this dessert, click here.
For the cooking instructions or method, visit JamieOliver.com and see the complete step by step details.
Have a sweet tooth? Check out this decadent chocolate linguine recipe from Giada HERE.
For more sweet treats, visit TastyFoodSnacks.com Dessert Menu, or CLICK HERE.