Chocolate chip cookies are baked cookies that have chocolate chips or chocolate morsels as their main ingredient. These cookies originated in the United States in 1938, during the time when Ruth Graves Wakefield chopped up a Nestle semi-sweet chocolate bar and added them to a cookie recipe. Since then, it has become one of the most popular types of cookies all over the world.
In the world of baking, cookies are probably one of the easiest to make. This is why many moms, grandmothers, and aunts love to bake chocolate chip cookies at home for their kids, grandkids, nephews, and nieces. They are great gifts for family and friends, too. If you haven’t tried making some chocolate chip cookies, now is the best time to do it. If you need help, you’re in the right place. Today, we are sharing with you some of the best tips and recipes on how to make the best chocolate chip cookies.
How to Make Some Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
When it comes to chocolate chip cookies, you can choose between chewy and crunchy. We will first teach you how to make the chewy version. The cookie dough is made from standard baking ingredients, such as:
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 Egg (and extra egg yolk)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon of cornstarch
- Brown sugar and white sugar
- Chocolate chips
Cornstarch is the secret of giving the cookies the ultra-soft consistency that most people know and love about chocolate chip cookies. It also helps in keeping the cookies thick. Also, chewy chocolate chip cookies need melted butter, which also helps in making them soft and chewy. However, you need to make sure you use enough flour to avoid making your baked cookie greasy. A mixer is also not needed for this recipe because melted butter is being used.
Brown sugar is also better than white sugar when making chewy chocolate chip cookies. Its moisture can give an extra soft and chewy texture to the cookies. But you still need some while sugar because it’s dry and will help the cookies spread.
You can also add an extra egg yolk to the mixture to achieve a super chewy chocolate chip cookie. It can add soft tenderness, richness, and it will also bind the dough. Therefore, for this recipe, you need to have one egg and one extra egg yolk.
- The first step after gathering all the ingredients is mixing them all together in a bowl. Since it has melted butter, the dough will be soft. Just keep on stirring it so that the chocolate chunks will stick and that the dough will come together.
- After mixing all the ingredients and forming the cookie dough, the next important step is to chill the cookie dough. This step will allow the ingredients to settle together after mixing them. In addition, the cold dough also turns into thicker cookies. Cover the dough and chill It for about 2 to 3 hours, or even up to 3 days.
- When the dough has been chilled, take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. After that, roll the dough into balls. The dough can be a bit crumbly, but the warmth of your hands will make it stay intact.
- The next step is to preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, and place the rolled dough on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 to 13 minutes. After that, the cookies will look soft and underbaked. But no worries, as they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet. Let them cool there for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After cooling, you can now serve the cookies to your family and friends. They can also stay fresh up to one week when covered and kept at room temperature.
For the complete details about this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, you can check out Sally’s Baking Addiction.
How to Make the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you do not want the chocolate chip cookies to be very chewy, then this is the recipe for you. This one will help you make chocolate chip cookies that are slightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Here are the ingredients you need:
- 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of softened butter
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ¾ cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Then, in a small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt and set it aside.
- Get a large bowl and beat the softened butter and sugars using an electric mixer at medium speed. You can also use a spoon to mix them for about 1 minute or until it becomes fluffy. Remember to scrape the side of the bowl occasionally, too.
- Beat the egg and vanilla together until it becomes smooth. After that, stir it in the flour mixture and mix them until blended. Then, mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. The dough will be stiff at this stage.
- After mixing the chocolate chips into the dough, get an ungreased cookie sheet and drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart.
- Bake the dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until they turn light brown. Their centers will be soft. But if you like the whole cookie to be crunchy, you can bake them for a little longer. After that, cool them for 2 minutes and remove them from the cookie sheet and transfer them to a cooling rack. Let them cool completely for 30 minutes, then serve them to your friends and family. You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container.
For the complete and detailed ultimate chocolate chip cookies recipe, you can check out Betty Crocker.
These are some of the best ways on how you can make the best chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are indeed very easy to make and fun to eat as snacks. We hope the information we shared in this post will help you in making your very own chocolate chip cookies at home.