With the advent of different social media sites and apps, such as Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, many things are becoming on-trend, even in the world of food and beverage. Some examples are the Dalgona coffee, cloud bread, and pancake cereal trends. In addition to these, another trend that has been popular on TikTok is the hot chocolate bomb trend, or also called hot cocoa bombs. Read on to learn more about this trendy hot drink.
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Millions of people have used the #hotchocolatebombs and #hotcocoaboms on TikTok. But what exactly are they? Hot chocolate bombs are basically hollow chocolate balls that are filled with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. They are perfect for winter and fall weather. They can turn any glass or mug of milk into a steaming hot chocolate, complete with marshmallows in just a few seconds.
Many internet videos show users drop the hot chocolate bombs into cups of hot milk and watch as the balls melt, releasing the marshmallows and chocolate powder. With this, an ordinary glass of milk is turned into a hot cup of cocoa. It is just like an edible bath bomb.
There are many different recipes of hot chocolate bombs that internet users have shared. But making them is not that complicated. Many people have also put their own twists on this trend. Some are making them into different shapes, such as hearts and more, depending on the occasion.
If you do not trust your skills when it comes to creating hot chocolate bombs, no worries, as they are also available in some stores and as well as online. They come in different sizes, shapes, and flavors, too.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are quite fun to make, and they are great to be given as gifts to your loved ones, too. If you want to learn how to make some, here are some of the items and ingredients that you need:
- Good Quality Chocolate Bar: You need to pick a good quality chocolate bar that you will use in making the bombs. This way, you can ensure that it will taste delicious.
- Food Thermometer: It is essential to have a food thermometer so that you can keep track of the temperature of the chocolate. You can get one in grocery stores or even online.
- Silicone Sphere Molds: These are also important so that you can make your bombs easily. But you also have the option to use acrylic molds.
- Bench Scraper: You will need a bench scraper if you are going to use an acrylic mold.
- ¼-Inch Paint Brush: This is going to be used for applying chocolate to silicone molds. You won’t need one if you choose to use an acrylic mold.
- Piping Bag: This is needed to seal the spheres together.
- Parchment Paper: This is essential if you are using an acrylic mold.
- Hot Chocolate Mix: You can choose the brand that you like.
- Mini Marshmallows: You can also choose the type of marshmallows that you like.
- Sprinkles: This is optional if you wish to decorate the outside of the chocolate bombs.
Making hot chocolate bombs is quite easy once you complete all the needed items. Here are the steps that you can follow:
- Get the high-quality bar of chocolate and chop it. Do it as finely as possible using a knife.
- Place the chopped chocolates in the microwave and heat them for 30 seconds. After that, stir the melted chocolate using a spatula. Place it back into the microwave and heat it again for 15 seconds, and stir it again. Check the temperature of the chocolate and ensure that it is not above 90°F. You can repeat this step until the chocolate is almost melted.
- Get a parchment paper and pour some chocolate on it, and place it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. After that, take it out and observe. If it looks shiny and it snaps in half loudly when it is broken, then it is tempered and ready to be placed in the molds.
- Make sure that your mold is clean. Get the chocolate and paint it into the silicone molds using a paintbrush. Two coatings are needed. If you are using an acrylic mold, you can just pour the melted chocolate. Then, place it into the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set. After that, apply a second coat of chocolate, especially to the edges, to build them up a bit. Place it again in the refrigerator for five minutes.
- When the chocolate spheres in the mold harden, remove them.
- Fill the molds with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows.
- Seal two pieces of chocolate molds together using more melted chocolate.
- Decorate the seam of the spheres with sprinkles and enjoy!
How are Hot Chocolate Bombs Used?
To use the hot chocolate bombs, you need to get a cup. Then, place the hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of it and pour some steaming milk on top. It does not need to be boiling. The hot milk will open up the bomb, letting the cocoa powder and marshmallows escape. You can use a spoon to stir it so that the chocolate powder will melt into the hot milk. There you have it, your enjoyable hot chocolate bombs.
Hot chocolate bombs are indeed fun to make and to enjoy drinking milk. You can also make different varieties of these, such as white chocolate bombs, Oreo chocolate bombs, hot chocolate truffles, and other flavors and add-ons that you’d like on your hot cup of milk. We hope this article helped you learn more about the hot chocolate bomb trend.