Like adults, toddlers also need snacks as these give them the energy to play and engage in different activities throughout the day. Whether they are at the park or at home, when they get hungry, they need to take a break to munch on some toddler snacks. While there are toddlers who love snack time, some are fussy eaters and are always distracted by other things during snack time. But you can prevent this with different techniques.
When preparing snacks for toddlers, it is better to keep them colorful. Try adding pops of colors by using fruits like strawberries, blueberries, and more. This way, their snacks will look more enjoyable to eat. You can also include crispy foods like pretzels and cucumbers for sensory foods for tongues. And to make their snacks more enticing, try to cut shapes out of them. These are great if your child is struggling to try new fruits and veggies for snacks.
If you are searching for the best snacks for your toddler that are both delicious and healthy, you’re in the right place. Today, we are giving you a list of the best snack ideas for toddlers.
High-Protein Snacks for Toddlers
If you are thinking about making snacks for your toddler’s lunchbox or snack time at home, here are some healthy protein snacks that you can try:
- Greek Yogurt: Avoid yogurts with flavor. You can buy plain yogurt and top it with sliced fruits instead for a healthier snack for your toddler.
- Nut Butters: If your toddler is at preschool, you can include in his or her lunchbox some crackers with a thin layer of peanut butter.
- Smoothies: When making smoothies for your toddler, you can include yogurt, milk, and nut butter. Then, add some veggies like spinach leaves and fruits like bananas. Blend them together for a refreshing and healthy drink.
- Egg Salad: You can also make an egg salad for your toddlers or simply prepare some boiled eggs for them.
- Tuna Salad: When making tuna salad for toddlers, instead of using mayonnaise or other dressing, you can use Greek yogurt, as it is healthier.
High-Fat Snacks for Toddlers
Toddlers also need a supply of healthy fats as these can help their brains grow fast. Here are some high-fat snacks that you can give to your toddlers:
- Cheese: You can try giving your toddler different kinds of sliced or grated cheeses. You can put them on a sandwich, on a cracker, or melt them into a quesadilla. You can also give them some whole-fat cottage cheese. It can either be sweet or savory.
- Avocados: You can let toddlers snack on avocados. Give it to them either sliced or mashed. This is a tasty way to get extra nutrition and healthy fats.
- Olives: These are great snacks for toddlers too. Just make sure that they do not have a pit when you give them to your toddlers.
- English Muffin Pizza: You can let your toddler decide what toppings they would like for this healthy and delicious snack.
On-The-Go Snacks for Toddlers
If you are taking your toddler to the park, it is important that you pack some snacks for them because they will surely get hungry after playing and using their energy. Choose foods that can handle warm temperatures. Also, avoid bringing snacks that are messy. Here are some of the best on-the-go snack ideas for toddlers that we can recommend:
- Muffins: You can make muffins and sneak in some vegetables in them, such as zucchini or pumpkin. These are easy to bring anywhere too.
- Carrot Sticks: These are easy to prepare and to pack. For younger children, you can grate the carrot or cut them into matchsticks. Be sure that you give them one stick at a time to prevent them from choking.
- Cucumber Sticks
- Boiled Eggs
If your toddlers are already going to preschool and you’d like to pack healthy snacks for them every day, there are also lots of great options. But keep in mind that most schools ask that you keep their space a nut-free zone, as other kids have allergies to nuts. Here’s a list of the best lunchbox snacks that you can prepare for your toddlers:
- Avocado Toast
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Veggie Chips
- Egg Salad and Crackers
- Pasta Salad
- Dried Apple Slices
- Grated Carrots
- Cucumber Slices
- Dried Fruits
- Fresh Berries
- Cheese Sandwich
These are some of the best snack ideas for toddlers that we can recommend. If you are going on a trip soon and taking your toddler for a long drive, you can check out our list of Toddler Snacks for Trips on the Road for more ideas.
Always remember that toddlers have different appetites and energy needs. There are some toddlers who are very energetic and are often hungry, while some are not that into snacking. Therefore, observe the eating habits of your child and as well as the activities they engage in. This way, you will be able to decide on the type of snacks to give them. When choosing snacks for toddlers, always pick those that are healthy and delicious. It is great to prepare their snacks at home instead of giving them processed foods and junk foods for snack time. We hope this helped you in coming up with the best snacks for your toddlers.